Thursday, February 15, 2007

I'm So Far Behind!

A couple people have mentioned to me that they have fallen significantly behind in the reading and were wondering what they should do. Here's a couple suggestions:

*If you're more than a full book behind, skip the book. If you're using one of our bookmarks, leave the check box blank and we can return to that book later.

*Try and do 2 days readings per day until you catch up. This may take time, but if you keep with it, you'll catch up quicker than you think. This also requires personal discipline, but remember that discipline is part of being a Disciple of Christ.

*Don't get discouraged, and whatever you do, Don't Quit!

*Find accountability, and be accountable. Also, if you're a part of our Wednesday night FUEL group, make our 6:30 meeting a priority.

As promised, here's a little more info about the book of Obadiah:

Obadiah wrote this shortest book of the Old Testament probably soon after the armies of Babylon destroyed Jerusalem in 586 B.C. During the conquest, the people of Edom (the nation bordering Israel on the east) helped capture fleeing Israelites and turned them over to the Babylonians. They even took up residence in some Judean villages. This angered the Lord, for the Edomites, as descendants of Esau, were related to the Israelites and therefore should have helped them. Obadiah prophesied that Edom would be repaid for mistreating God's people. Within a hundred years Edom was in ruins. Obadiah also asserted that God is sovereign over the nations and that the house of Jacob would be restored because of God's covenant love for His people.

5 comments:

Joy Pierce said...

Just a word of encouragement. In 1994 I found a TV program called Quick Study with a logo of "my Bible More in 94". They were reading the Bible through in one year. I started with them and failed miserably. However, I continued to get their newsletter and started with them again in 95. Did a little better but didn't make it through that year either. 96 or 97 I think was the first time I did actually made it through the Bible from cover to cover. Since that time, I have been pretty faithful at reading my Bible through every year.

The most important thing is to be consistant. I never succeeded until I determined I would read every day before I left the house. I found that if I didn't read at the beginning of the day, I didn't read. Besides, reading before heading out into the world is a little like putting on armor, if you wait until the end of the day it is like putting on the armor after the battle is over. I still miss a day or two here and there, but I make the effort to read a little extra each day until I catch up again.

If I can do it, you can do it. Keep trying! Keep working at it! You will discover that is it so worth it!

Anonymous said...

Great thoughts, bro. The tendency is to think that we have to master the Bible by reading it cover to cover. But our aim must always be to be mastered by the Word of God and having it transform our lives so that Christ is reflected in our lives. But to be mastered by the Word of God means that I have to be regularly in the Word of God.

Reading the Scriptures requires discipline, and the best thing we can to is be in the Word of God so that it masters us. Keep up the fight of faith!

Melody said...

Hi!
Wow it's been a long time since I've been here! I'm proud to say I haven't fallen behind in my reading yet though :) I missed you all at youth group - I hate homework. I'm hoping to come this week though. I really enjoyed Daniel, it's fun reviewing all the stories I thought I knew so well from Sunday School, but realizing I didn't. Amos was a little hard to understand and so was Obadiah. Sometimes when I read something I don't understand, I find my mind drifting elsewhere even though my brain is processing the words. I think next time I'll try listening to it as well. Well, good luck to everyone and I'll see you wednesday! Oh yeah, and Happy late Valentines Day!
Hugs,
Melody <><

Melody said...

One other thing,
I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed hearing Anatoly preach this morning! It was really cool to hear Russian and I was able to pick up a few words. You kind of get used to having a translator after a little bit. His message was also really good about being a blessing to others. Also, if you guys would pray for a girl named Katie, she came to the friends night last friday and accepted Christ! It was awesome and I'm praying that she will continue to grow in her relationship with God.

~Melody <><

MandieCurtis said...

Melody,

We all miss you too at youth group, but I'm so glad to hear that you've been able to stay caught up.

Daniel is an amazing book isn't it? I just think of him as such a bold man who didn't compromise, and also he was so intelligent and wise. I find it amazing that the prophet Ezekiel (who prophesied around the same time as Daniel) compared him to Job and Noah as three of the most righteous men who have ever lived. What an amazing claim.

Always a blessing to hear of someone coming to salvation. We'll be praying. See you Wednesday at 6:30.