Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Week #3 (Jan. 14-20)

I realize that I'm posting this a few days late, but I assume most of you have had the chance to see the schedule posted on the right side of the page.

This week we should have already finished Micah, we'll complete Galatians tomorrow, and begin our adventure through the big Old Testament book of Deuteronomy. Here's the schedule:

Sunday: Psalm 6-9
Monday: Micah 5-7
Tuesday: Galatians 1-2
Wednesday: Galatians 3-4
Thursday: Galatians 5-6
Friday: Deuteronomy 1-3
Saturday: Deuteronomy 4-7


If you've been having a little trouble with Galatians, here's a few things to keep in mind:

*Galatians is very different from John, Micah and the Psalms. Unlike a narritave, poetry or prophecy, Galatians is a letter written to deal with a theological issue.

*Because Galatians was written do deal with thelogical issues within the church, the Apostle Paul wrote this letter as an argument. This means that we may need to read this letter a little slower, as well as go back and make sure we understand what is written in order to follow his argument (this is why we are only reading 2 chapters a day).

*This letter deals with theology that is important for every single believer. The key verse is 2:16 where Paul writes that "a person is not justified (declared right before God) by works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ... by works of the law no one will be justified."

Happy reading and I'll see you tonight!

5 comments:

Melody said...

Hey Guys!

Wow, I have some catching up to do. Today was my biggest final, so now I only have science tomorrow and then I'll be done! Thank you all for your prayers, my history final was probably the hardest test I've ever taken in my life. Now that I've got that off my chest though I can relax. I'm sad that I missed youth group but I hope you guys had fun and I'll see you next week! Happy reading!

~Melody <><

P.S. - Mandie, I have a pretty busy weekend, but do you think maybe you and cathryn and me could get together on Sunday after church?

MandieCurtis said...

Melody,

I'm glad that you've completed your finals and that you're pleased with your efforts.

We missed you this week at YG. Enjoy Galatians and getting started at Deuteronomy!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Melody!

I think Sunday would work for me! I'm not sure about Cathryn, so you might have to give her a call. Let's meet up at church and figure out what we want to do...

Mandie

Melody said...

Hi! :)
I finally caught up with all the reading I missed...today I had to read all of Galatians and the first 7 chapters of Deuteronomy! Whew! I love Galatians, it's such a great book and there's so much information and instruction crowded in there that I could never even make a dent in it. Mandie, I'll be sure to call you tomorrow and hopefully Tuesday will work.

~Melody

Anonymous said...

I especially liked (The Message) Deut 4:29-31 But even there, if you seek God, your God, you'll be able to find him if you're serious, looking for him with your whole heart and soul. When troubles come and all these awful things happen to you, in future days you will come back to God, your God, and listen obediently to what he says. God, your God, is above all a COMPASSIONATE God. In the end he will NOT ABANDON YOU, he won't bring you to ruin, he won't forget the covenant with your ancestors which he swore to them.