Friday, January 12, 2007

Prepare for the Prophets

As of today, we will have completed the book of John. Can you believe that in only a week we have read the entire book of John (plus 5 Psalms)? I hope you were able to know God a little more through these first few days in the Scripture Adventure. Feel free to use this posting to comment on anything you learned or were impacted by while reading John.

As of Saturday we are going to start with the book of Micah, and we are going to try to do it in 2 days. After meeting on Wednesday and hearing some of your reading tips, here are a couple of things to keep in mind as you read Micah:

*consider doing the whole book (7 chapters) at once. It will help you keep the flow of the theme of the book (plus you can then take 1 day off or use it to get caught up or get ahead).

*remember that the style is going to be much different than John. Micah was a Hebrew prophet that lived 700 years before Christ and he used poetic language to communicate his message.

Here's a little more background info to prepare you for your read:

Micah prophesied in Judah during the reigns of King Jotham, Ahaz, and Hezekiah (about 750-700 B.C.), at about the same time as Isaiah. It was a time of prosperity, and Micah denounced the wealthy, who were oppressing the poor, and warned of impending judgment. The northern kingdom (Israel) actually fell during Micah’s ministry, in 722, and Judah almost fell in 701 (2 Kings 18-20). The book contains messages alternating between words of warning and of hope. Micah told of a day when there would be peace among all nations, who would then be able to “beat their swords into plowshares” (4:3), and of a royal deliverer who would save Israel from all her enemies. This deliverer would be born in Bethlehem (5:2).

By the way, I was very encouraged by our meeting on Wednesday night. Thanks to everyone who came, and I hope that we can keep this up all year. Each of you were a blessing to me!

Anybody have any suggestions for a name for our group?

2 comments:

Melody said...

Hi!
I really enjoyed reading John, it's a great book! It's awesome to be reminded of just how much Jesus loves us...he actually died for us! I just wanted to say that this next week is going to be very hectic for me, I have finals at school and will be studying like mad. I'm still going to do my reading, but I don't know if I'll be able to make it to youth group. I sure hope so, but that's the night that I need to study for my two hardest finals. I do have half days though, so I'll try my best. Anyway, if anyone wants to pray for my finals that would be great because I'm really stressed out, they're going to be hard!

~Melody :)

MandieCurtis said...

Hey Melody,

Thanks for filling us in on what you got going on this week. If you don't make it to youth group this week, know that we'll be praying for you.

This is one of the things these small groups are for--encouraging each other when one of us has a hard week ahead of us.

Keep going strong!